We currently operate five programs that help reduce food insecurity for Chowan County families. Our priority is fulfilling our mission, not the maintenance of these programs. Therefore, our programs are open to review and change as new opportunities, challenges and/or resources become available.

We are closed most Federal Holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas). Check our Facebook page for other holiday and/or weather related closings. 


Three to five days of supplemental food, an average of 50-60 pounds depending on family size, is provided once a month to eligible individuals. While the contents of these food packages varies from day to day, assistance generally includes fresh fruits and vegetables; frozen meat, bread and bakery items; and a variety of shelf-stable food items.

Assistance is distributed on Monday and Friday mornings, 9:00 - 11:15am.  Clients may participate once a month, on the Monday or Friday of their choice. 

Apply at the Food Pantry on Monday or Friday morning and bring the following information: 

  • First Visit: Picture ID (e.g., driver’s license, non-driver state ID, military ID, passport, etc.) and proof of residency in Chowan County (e.g., lease, utility or cable bill, vehicle registration, etc.)
  • Second Visit: Proof of food stamp application and birth certificate for each dependent

Clients must renew eligibility annually by providing the following information:

  • Proof of residency in Chowan County
  • Proof of monthly income

The Food Pantry is required to review this information in order to receive and distribute USDA/TEFAP food assistance, distributed to us through the Food Bank of the Albemarle, to our clients.  


The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) is a once a month food assistance program for individuals 60 years of age and older. Participants receive a box of shelf-stable groceries determined by the U.S. government. This could be such things as: cheese, hot cereal, peanut butter, pasta, spaghetti sauce, and canned meats, fruits and vegetables. The average box contains about 30-35 pounds of food. The Food Pantry has no say in the groceries included.

Eligibility is determined by age (you must be at least 60), residence (you must reside in Chowan County), gross monthly income and household size. Income eligibility is based on U.S. government guidelines and is updated yearly. To apply you will need proof of identify (e.g., driver's license, non-driver state ID, military ID, passport, etc.) age (e.g., driver's license, non-driver state ID, birth certificate, military ID, passport, etc.), and residence (e.g., driver’s license, non-driver state ID, utility or cable bill, vehicle registration, etc.). Call the office at 252-482-2504 to learn more about income eligibility based on the size of your household.

Food assistance provided through this program is distributed at the Food Pantry and Rocky Hock Baptist Church on the first and second Wednesdays of the month from 9:30am to 11:30am.              


Assistance is available to any Chowan County resident that needs food, regardless of reason. A three to five day supply is provided to allow recipients time to apply for further assistance, if needed. Customized food boxes, for those without cooking facilities, are available.

While referrals are regularly received from the Department of Social Services and other agencies, Chowan County Schools, and our sponsoring churches a referral is not required to receive food.

Come by or call the office at 252-483-2504 to make arrangements to receive emergency food assistance.


Weekend meals consisting of two breakfasts, two lunches, two snacks and two pieces of fresh fruit are provided, during the school year, to participating children who attend elementary or middle school at Edenton-Chowan Public Schools. Before heading home on Friday, these meal bags are discretely distributed to participating students. Participation is free and there are no income restrictions. Some students are enrolled year after year, while others participate for only a few months when their families need some extra support.

Weekend Grub is the newly launched weekend meal program for middle school students. Branded with a new name to reflect a more teen-friendly assortment of food items, it is a more "grownup" version of Book Bag Buddies.

To enroll your child in the Book Bag Buddies or Weekend Grub, contact the Counselor at your child’s school.  

DF Walker Elementary:  Jamie Koller 252-221-4151

White Oak Elementary:  Katie Milligan  252-221-4078

Chowan Middle School:  Danielle Richardson  252-221-4131


During the summer months, when National school lunch and breakfast programs are not available, the Food Pantry  sponsors the Children’s Summer Nutrition Program. The goal of this program is to fill this meal gap by providing families with nutritious, child-friendly, easy to prepare foods. 

Any family with a child attending Edenton-Chowan Public Schools is eligible to participate. The amount of food assistance varies by family size and typically includes such things as hot dogs & buns, spaghetti & sauce, mac and cheese, peanut butter & jelly, sandwich bread, fresh fruits and vegetables, cereal, juice, and a few snack foods.

Food boxes are distributed at the Food Pantry on Wednesday evenings, 5:30 to 7:00pm, from early June through mid-August. Dates for 2022 are not yet determined. 


In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the Agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals that are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint alleging discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027) found online at and at any USDA office. You may also write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.